George Zimmerman has only been back in jail for 24-hours but his supporters have continued to rally behind him. The 28-year-old’s newest donation website, started by his lawyer Mike O’Mara, has seen a spike in financial support, according to ABC News.
Zimmerman was receiving roughly $1,000 a day from the site, but his lawyer told the news organization that the figure has swelled since his bond was revoked Friday (June 1).
As previously reported, Zimmerman surrendered to authorities Sunday (June 3), and is now housed in a 9-foot by 7-foot solo cell. Despite being punished for lying about his financial status, O’Mara—who will seek a new bond hearing for his client— noted that Zimmerman had no intention of deceiving the court. “It’s not again like they were trying to hide the money or leave with the money,” he said. “They just had it… and felt like they needed to secure themselves.”
Holes in his account of the night that he shot and killed Trayvon Martin, will possibly weaken his defense case. Also damaging, is the news that witnesses who observed the fatal altercation have changed their stories, pinpointing Zimmerman as the aggressor in the situation.
Pending the outcome of a new bond request, the former neighborhood watch volunteer is expected to sit behind bars until the start of his second-degree murder trial, which may be until next year.
MORE ON HIP-HOP WIRED!
Photo: ABC News