Michelle Obama Says President Obama Saved The Economy From "The Brink Of Collapse"
With less than a month until the presidential election, First Lady Michelle Obama
is reminding America that her husband's four years in office have been helpful to the country.
In an interview with Washington D.C.'s WPGC 95.5
, Mrs. Obama praised her husband's efforts in getting the economy back in order. "I mean, we are seeing right now that we are in the midst of a huge recovery. Right?" she said. "Because of what this president has done, pulled this economy from the brink of collapse when we were losing 800,000 jobs a month. Now were gaining throughout most of his presidency, we've been adding jobs to this economy because of what he's been doing. The stock market has doubled.
"Housing prices are rising. Foreclosure rates are lowering. But in the face of that, you still have people trying to convince us that things aren't better, and that just doesn't make sense."
The question of whether or not America is better off in the four years since Obama took office, has been the main query posed by opponent Mitt Romney
. While it can be argued that the commander in chief still has a long way to go in nabbing an economic victory, the unemployment rate dropped to 7.8 percent
, down from 8.1 percent one month earlier. The figures are the lowest that they've been since January 2009, the month that Obama was inaugurated.
Although the numbers show that things are right back where they started when the president took office, only 4.3 of the 8.8 million jobs lost as a result of the economic crises, have been added. As of September, roughly 12 million people were unemployed, 40 percent of which had been without work for at least six months.
No matter the figures, the first lady explained that her husband understands that there is still more work to be done. "Barack of all people knows that we still have a long way to go to completely rebuild the economy," she added. “But we're headed in the right direction."
MORE ON HIP-HOP WIRED!
• Iggy Azalea Shoots Campaign For House Of Holland Eyewear [PHOTOS]
• The Great White Hype: 10 White Rappers Who Fell Off (Or Are Barely Hanging On) [GALLERY]
• RZA's The Man With The Iron Fists Soundtrack & Score Deluxe Vinyl Packaging [PHOTOS]
• Jay-Z, Will Smith, Victor Cruz And More Attend Meek Mill's Listening Session [PHOTOS]
• Wired 25: The 25 Most Influential Business Deals In Hip-Hop
• 8 Things You Need To Know About Meek Mill's Dreams And Nightmares Album
• Bangin Candy: Rick Ross' "Diced Pineapples" Stunner Bernice Burgos [PHOTOS]
• NYC High School Guidance Counselor Loses Job Over Racy Online Pics [PHOTOS]