Marley Drink Banned After New Jersey Students Get Sick
Marley's Mellow Mood, an all natural relaxation beverage, was removed from schools after several students in New Jersey got sick, according to a school report released Friday (Nov. 30). The Bob Marley name was given to the drink to parallel its “anti-energy” effects, but unfortunately, it left students ill.
Some students suffered headaches, lethargy, and elevated heart rates while others felt nausea and vomited, after ingesting the drink.
Students at William R. Satz Middle School and Holmdel Middle School in Holmdel, N.J., have been buying the refreshment in the school cafeteria, but no signs of side effects were shown until recently.
The beverage contains all natural botanical chemicals, valerian root, and chamomile to help with relaxation and reduce stress. According to its nutrition facts, Marley's Mellow Mood may cause drowsiness, and is not recommended for children, as noted by parent Toni Monticciolo. “They should never have sold that to 12-year-olds,” he told a local news station.
The school district food service, Chartwells School Dining Services, removed the product from all schools in the area as of last week. Chartwells claims that the beverage was an “unauthorized purchase not approved for sale in schools managed by Chartwells,” and has removed an on-site manager while they look for the cause of the sickness.“We sincerely regret that this product was sold and that students had an adverse reaction to it. Chartwells takes great pride and care in partnering with our school communities to provide the best school dining experience possible and we take this situation very seriously.”
Officials announced that they will update parents at the completion of their investigation.
Photo: News One