Judge Denies Meek Mill's Request To Have Travel Restrictions Lifted
Things aren't looking too good for Meek Mill in his fight to be allowed to travel for work. The Philly rapper filed a request to have his traveling restrictions lifted, and was denied, HipHopDX.com reports.
A judge decided that the 25-year-old is not allowed to tour, or perform, except in the event that he's doing charity work. Meek filed the request late last week, and during his probation hearing Monday (Dec. 17),Common Court Pleas Judge Genece Brinkley showed him no mercy. “You need to get yourself together,” she said.
Noting his previous violation of her order to halt performing as of Nov. 16, Brinkley served him with a cold harsh slice of reality. “Christmas is dead for him,” Brinkley added. “You are going to be home for Christmas and New Year's.”
Meek's lawyer, Gary Silver, argued that his rap alter-ego shouldn't be punished. “Robert Williams is on probation, not Meek Mill,” Silver said. “You are preventing him from earning his livelihood.
“This isn't like mixed tapes being made in the basement of someone's house,” Silver added. “This is for real. He has a job that appears to be interesting to a lot of people. He wants to earn a legal living…it just happens to be on a national and international stage.”
Brinkley was unmoved.
She's been working Williams' case since the beginning, and is said to have tried to accommodate the MMG rapper to the best of her abilities. “Clearly this court has bent over backwards all these years,” she explained.
For his part, Meek failed to keep his probation officer informed of his whereabouts claiming to have “never had voicemail,” or the ability to set up a recording because people are “always calling” asking him for money—to which Brinkley responded by rolling her eyes.
The young father's legal issues stem from gun and drug offenses that could have put him behind bars for up to a decade.