Aaron Hernandez May Face Charges For 2012 Double Murder
The legal troubles of former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez may be increasing. Prosecutors are currently drafting a case to present for a Massachusetts grand jury which would connect Hernandez to a 2012 double murder.
The Boston Globe reports that prosecutors in Suffolk County have amassed enough evidence to present a case that would allow them to charge the former football standout with the murder of two men on a South End street last July. “The case against Hernandez appears to be strengthening,” said one official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
Although the prosecution’s case is being developed in secret, the introduction of the grand jury in the proceedings indicate that they intend to move on Hernandez, already charged with the murder of 27-year-old Dorchester resident Odin Lloyd.
Safiro Furtado and Daniel Abreu, who were both Cape Verdean immigrants, were murdered early on July 16, 2012. A vehicle with Rhode Island plates pulled next to the pair’s parked car and began to open fire according to police records.
Hernandez, who has pleaded not guilty in the Lloyd case, was named a suspect in the killing of Furtado and Abreu after his arrest last month. The Globe reported that sources told them Lloyd was slain because he knew of Hernandez’s role in the South End murders.
[Spotted at Deadspin]
Photo: The Boston Globe