Columbus Short Pleads Not Guilty In Battery Case
Ex Scandal star Columbus Short pleads not guilty to felony battery after engaging in a brawl that left a man seriously injured, at a West Hollywood restaurant earlier this year.
According to AP:
Short appeared in court for a brief arraignment hearing on the case filed after he was accused of punching a man at the restaurant in March.
The actor’s attorney Jeff Jacquet had sought to fast track the case, but Deputy District Attorney David Schorr said the injuries involved were too serious to qualify. He said Short is accused of cold-cocking a man, knocking him unconscious and fracturing his left eye socket.
Superior Court Judge Keith L. Schwartz said based on the injuries the case wasn’t eligible for the so-called early disposition program, which could have settled the case before a preliminary hearing in which more details about the altercation would be disclosed.
Short was ordered to return to court on June 5 to set a date for the preliminary hearing.
Short has a long history of violent behavior and this such case is but one of several involving the actor. He’s also facing a misdemeanor spousal battery case, during which his estranged wife slapped a temporary restraining order against him and filed for divorce. Tanee Short claims her husband threatened her with a knife during a domestic dispute back in April.