Pras Sues New York Post For $30 Million
Former Fugees star Pras Michel has made the most headlines of his career in the past year since he had a hit song in “Ghetto Superstar” in 1998. And every last one of them have carried a negative connotation.
While his silence surrounding news like being accused of living the good life while his child wallowed in poverty spoke volumes, he’s not standing for Page Six’s latest story that he skipped his own September 11th charity event in Hell’s Kitchen.
The post from October 5th read:
Pras Michel, the rapper who co-founded The Fugees, was a no-show as the headliner for a 9/11 charity event in Hell’s Kitchen to benefit his own foundation.
His Hope for Them foundation also bounced a check to the venue, falsely claimed MTV sponsored the fund-raiser and failed to register the charity with state officials.
The group claims to minister to the poor in Haiti but distanced itself in promotional material from the country for fear potential donors would confuse it with the disgraced charity run by his cousin, ex-Fugees frontman Wyclef Jean, said a Hope for Them insider.
Hope for Them was founded in 2011 by Haiti native Mike Jean, a record producer and songwriter.
Michel was listed as a board member on the group’s Web site early last week. By Friday, his name had disappeared, and Mike Jean told The Post the Grammy winner wasn’t a board member.
The event, at Stage 48 in Hell’s Kitchen last Sept. 11, was billed as “Fashion for Charity” to help New Yorkers. Tickets ranged from $40 to $2,000. In addition to a fashion show, Michel was to perform.
But on Wednesday, The Hollywood Reporter discovered the former Fugee had filed a $30 million defamation lawsuit because he says nothing The Post published was true.
“The drafting, publishing and dissemination of the Article was accomplished with a reckless disregard for the truth,” part of the complaint read. “The reckless ‘reporting’ would be deemed as such had a high school student drafted the Article. However, the authors are seasoned, experienced ‘investigative journalists’ employed by one of the most widely circulated newspapers in the world.”
He’s demanding an apology and a retraction from the paper. And of course, the money.