More than a dozen people were shot during another bloody outbreak in Chicago, late Thursday (Aug. 23) and early Friday (Aug. 24). In total, 19 people were shot, 13 of which were wounded within a 30-minute time span.
The violence, which spread over the city’s South and West sides, hit a high point between 9:15 p.m. and 9:45, when several victims, many of whom were teenagers, were shot on the same block.
Among those wounded were two men struck in the Ida B. Wells/Darrow Homes complex. The men, ages 27 and 33, were transported to the University of Chicago Hospital, with one sustaining an injury in the head, and the other in the shoulder.
Elsewhere, a 24-year-old man was shot in the leg, and told police that he was on his phone when he heard a shot, and realized he was hit. He was treated, and released from Jackson Park Hospital.
Two other men were hit in the arm, during a drive-by in the Brighton Park neighborhood.
Earlier in the night a 17-year-old was shot as he walked down the street. He told police that someone in a car started shooting. More than an hour later, another 17-year-old was shot after someone walked up to him and opened fire. Other youngsters shot ranged from ages 14-19.
Mass shootings continue to occur in the city, which has seen more than 300 homicides since the start of the year. Chicago leaders are planning a “peace summit” to address the excessive violence.
MORE ON HIP-HOP WIRED!