Darren Wilson will not face civil rights charges in the fatal shooting of Michael Brown. Though an official statement has not been released, the Justice Department is planning to wrap up the case after an FBI investigation found no evidence to support the charges.
Reports the New York Times:
Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. and his civil rights chief, Vanita Gupta, will have the final say on whether the Justice Department will close the case against the officer, Darren Wilson. But it would be unusual for them to overrule the prosecutors on the case, who are still working on a legal memo explaining their recommendation.
A decision by the Justice Department would bring to an end to the politically charged investigation of Mr. Wilson in the shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown. Missouri authorities concluded their investigation into Mr. Brown’s death in November and also recommended against charges.
Wellspring United Methodist Church in Ferguson, Mo., played host Sunday to members of the Congressional Black Caucus.In Ferguson, Push for Criminal Justice.
But a broader Justice Department civil rights investigation into allegations of discriminatory traffic stops and excessive force by the Ferguson Police Department remains open. That investigation could lead to significant changes at the department, which is overwhelmingly white despite serving a city that is mostly black.
Last year, a grand jury cleared Wilson in Brown’s shooting.
Benjamin Crump, the attorney representing the family, has yet to comment. “We’ve heard speculation on cases before that didn’t turn out to be true,” he said. “It’s too much to put the family through to respond to every rumor.”
28-year-old Wilson shot Brown six times, during what he says was a life-threatening confrontation, although teen was unarmed.
Wilson resigned from the Ferguson Police Department late last tear.