Something isn’t quite right about all of the details coming out of the Boston Marathon bombings. Contrary to the statements of Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis, the surviving bombing suspect never exchanged gunfire with authorities at the time of his capture. In fact, he was unarmed.
After the teen was caught, Davis revealed that shots were fired from the boat where he was found. “Over the course of the next hour or so we exchanged gunfire with the suspect, who was inside the boat, and ultimately the hostage rescue team of the FBI made an entry into the boat and removed the suspect, who was still alive,” Davis said during a news conference last week.
However, an anonymous source confirmed the story was a lie.
The Huffington Post reports:
Authorities originally said they had exchanged gunfire with Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (joh-KHAHR’ tsahr-NEYE’-ehv) for more than one hour Friday evening before they were able to subdue him.
The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the ongoing investigation, say investigators recovered a 9 mm handgun believed to have been used by Tsarnaev’s brother, Tamerlan, from the site of a gun battle Thursday night, which injured a Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority officer. Dzhokhar was believed to have been shot before he escaped.
The officials tell The Associated Press that no gun was found in the boat. Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said earlier that shots were fired from inside the boat.
The news adds suspicion to the theory that Tsarnaev may have been framed. His parents have claimed his innocence from the beginning, as have some of his friends. Many of those who grew up with the suspect describe him as being a “good guy,” and an “average American teen.” Thus, they were understandably shocked to learn that he was one of two people suspected in the marathon bombings.
Surveillance footage from the day of the tragedy shows Tsarnaev at the marathon carrying a black backpack, and walking behind his older brother/alleged cohort, Tamerlan. Another image captured by a citizen after the first explosion, shows the college student without the bag and leaving the scene.
Tsarnaev moved to the states as a child, spending a decade in America before becoming a citizen last year. He reportedly confessed to the crime from his hospital bed, and has been charged with using weapons of mass destruction.
Late Thursday (April 25) the suspect was moved to a prison hospital facility 40 miles outside of Boston.
Authorities have yet to announce if they will seek the death penalty in the case.