According to a surviving victim of Boko Haram’s latest reported strike, the extremist group unleashed perhaps its most brutal attack to date. Children were among those burned alive as the terrorist collective torched Dalori village Saturday (Jan. 2), killing 86 people.
Reports The Associated Press:
Scores of charred corpses and bodies with bullet wounds littered the streets from Saturday night’s attack on Dalori village and two nearby camps housing 25,000 refugees, according to survivors and soldiers at the scene just 5 kilometers (3 miles) from Maiduguri, the birthplace of Boko Haram and the biggest city in Nigeria’s northeast.
The shooting, burning and explosions from three suicide bombers continued for nearly four hours in the unprotected area, survivor Alamin Bakura said, weeping on a telephone call to The Associated Press. He said several of his family members were killed or wounded.
The violence continued as three female suicide bombers blew up among people who managed to flee to neighboring Gamori village, killing many people, according to a soldier at the scene who insisted on anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to journalists.
Troops arrived at Dalori around 8:40 p.m. Saturday but were unable to overcome the attackers, who were better armed, said soldiers who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press. The Boko Haram fighters only retreated after reinforcements arrived with heavier weapons, they said.
Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for continuously wreaking havoc on Northern Nigeria’s Borno State. The group kidnapped as many as 2,000 women and children last year, many were said to have been sexually assaulted, forced into marriage, and trained as fighters.
View more from their Dalori attack below.