All The Way Gone: CBS Cancels The Arsenio Hall Show
Viewers are going to have to say goodbye to The Arsenio Hall Show, once more. CBS has cancelled season two of the late-night reboot, it was announced Friday (May 30)
The network picked up the show for a second season in February, and has now halted production, according to Variety. “Unfortunately, ‘The ARSENIO HALL SHOW’ will not return for a second season,” the network said in a statement. “While there are many loyal fans of the show, the series did not grow its audience enough to continue. Arsenio is a tremendous talent and we’d like to thank him for all the hard work and energy he put into the show. We’d also like to thank Tribune and all our station group partners for their support of the show.”
Hall launched the second installment of his late night run last year. Like its predecessor, the revamped Arsenio Hall Show became a popular destination for rap acts. In an interview with Hip-Hop Wired last month, Hall revealed his trepidation about coming back to late night. “I don’t know if I can make this work. It’s much more crowded now than when I left,” he said.
Fears aside, the 58-year-old sounded confident in the shows growth ability, despite the fledgling ratings. The Arsenio Hall Show premiered in more than 1 million households in September 2013, but was never able to reposition itself as a leader among the late night pool.