George Zimmerman’s attorney has requested that the judge in his case be removed. Mike O’Mara, the latest legal counsel hired by the accused killer, formally asked Monday (April 16) that Judge Jessica Recksiedler be taken off the case in which Zimmerman will be tried for the murder of Trayvon Martin.
According to Seminole County Court spokesperson, Michelle Kennedy, the motion to hinder Rekcsiedler from presiding over the case “will be ruled on in the appropriate manner.” O’Mara’s requisition comes days after the judge was said to have considered disqualifying herself on grounds that her husband is a partner with attorney, Mark NeJame, whom Zimmerman previously approached about representation.
“What I don’t want to happen is to wait a month or two, and then we find out that what we thought is a potential conflict is an actual conflict,” O’Mara told reporters outside the Seminole County Criminal Justice Center.
NeJame also works as a legal correspondent on CNN, and has commented on the Trayvon Martin case. He declined to take the 28-year-old on as a client, noting that “big national cases [can] take a lot out of you.”
Following the public resignation of his previous lawyers, one of Zimmerman’s friends reached out to NeJame once again, to take the case. Although he passed on the offer, NeJame provided the former neighborhood watch volunteer with a list of five potential lawyers, which included O’Mara. “They said Mark is the one we want, I put them together, and they took it from there.”
Zimmerman is scheduled to be arraigned in the shooting death of 17-year-old Martin, next month. Chief Judge Alan Dickey is expected to rule on the request, but no immediate decision has been made.
MORE ON HIP-HOP WIRED!