A swim club in Philadelphia is a million dollars richer after winning their lawsuit claiming racial discrimination. The group, comprised of minority inner city youth, were barred from going to the Valley Swim Club in Huntington, Pa. back in 2009.
The children, who belong to the Creative Steps Day Camp of Northeast Philly, paid Valley Swim Club $1,950 for the group to participate in a weekly swimming program. After visiting the facility, some of the children complained that the White members were using racial slurs towards them, and asked why there were “so many Balck children” at the pool.
A few days later, the club refunded the fee , and told Creative Steps director, Althea Wright, that the children were not allowed to use the pool.
Creative Steps is no longer in commission, but a minimum of $65,000 of their settlement will be set aside for a “Diversity Leadership Council,” with the Valley Club. “What we hope it will do is provide an experience for these two different racial groups of children to get together and actually be kids together and learn about each other, “ said Creative Steps attorney, Brian Mildenberg.
Given the media attention, the Valley Club lost money and filed for bankruptcy, and was sold for $1.46 million at an auction in 2010. The U.S. Department of Justice ruled to distribute the remaining amount of the club’s asset’s following the closure of its pending bankruptcy.
The settlement will be split between the 65 children turned away from the club’s pool, while 20 percent of the money will go to attorney fees.
MORE ON HIP-HOP WIRED!
• Check My Footwork: 10 Shoes & The Rappers Who Helped Make Them Famous [PHOTOS]
• Terry Richardson Shoots Rick Ross For Rolling Stone [PHOTOS/VIDEO]
• Azealia Banks Smokes A Condom On Banned Dazed & Confused Cover [PHOTOS]
• Swagger Back: 10 Rappers That Were Left For Dead, But Bounced Back Like Cooked Cr@ck
• 10 Flicks Of 2 Chainz Not Living Up to His T.R.U. Name [PHOTOS]
• Ya Headed For Self-Destruction: The Chad Ochocinco Edition
• Nike Basketball’s 20 Designs That Changed The Game [PHOTOS]
• I Do: 10 Songs Rappers Dedicated To The Women In Their Lives —
BTB Savage Reportedly Shot & Killed Hours After Posting Bloody Photo
Tekashi 6ix9ine Catches The Fade In Florida LA Fitness, Twitter Has No Sympathy
LA Fitness Staff Rushed Tekashi 6ix9ine To A Safe Room After He Caught The Hands & Feet
Twitter Says Gunna Is On Fade Notice After Tekashi 6ix9ine Got The Brakes Beat Off Him
Famous Women Caught With Busted Up Feet [Photos]
Baes & Baddies: Supremely Stacked Shadée Monique Is More Than Just Joe Budden's Boo
BET Uncut Is Not Coming Back; Here's Its 15 Wildest Videos Anyway
15 Music Stars Who Had Disturbing Relationships With Their Entourages [Photos]