We’ve just learned the science behind Pharrell’s musical genius, and we’ve got to admit, his technique is pretty wicked considering the long list of chart-topping hits he’s managed to round up.
Someone over at the Discopop directory may have discovered Pharrell’s winning formula (and recurrent thread) to the intros of some of his most epic compositions. Smash singles like “Drop It Like It’s Hot,” “Frontin’,” “Blurred Lines,” and Skateboard P’s own “Happy,” all posses a common zest.
What is it you ask? If you listen close enough, it’s a simple four-count loop of the first beat in the first bar (aha!). Courtesy of the Discopop blog, below is a compiled mix of 13 different song intros that boast said loop.
Spin it and listen to it for yourself. Chime in at the bottom!
1) SWV – Right Here
2) Jay-Z – Frontin’
3) Kelis – Milkshake
4) Snoop Dogg – Drop It Like Its Hot
5) Robin Thicke – Blurred Lines
6) Shakira – Why Wait
7) Frank Ocean – Sweet Life (this one is especially lazy)
8) Pharrell Williams – Brand New
9) Paloma Faith – Can’t Rely On You
10) Pharrell Williams – Happy
11) Pharrell Williams – Hunter
12) Jay-Z – I Wish
13) Pharrell Williams – Gust Of Wind