2K promised more updates about WWE 2K22 in January. The video game developer decided to give wrestling fans an early present.
In August, 2K boldly stated WWE 2K22 would “hit differently” with a small teaser trailer showcasing the game’s impressive new graphics but not detailing how the game would play. 2K decided it had to rethink the franchise after the disastrous launch of WWE 2K20, opting not to drop WWE 2K21. Thursday (Nov.18), a new trailer for WWE 2K22 has arrived, and it looks like the year off was the right decision.
The new trailer gives fans a peek at the WWE 2K22’s new redesigned gameplay engine, which the studio says is “the most important change” coming to the franchise. We also see how the new controls, stunning graphics, presentation, modes, and more come into play.
Here is the breakdown per 2K:
- Redesigned Gameplay Engine: The most important change in WWE 2K22 is in the engine itself. Visual Concepts redesigned the gameplay and animation engine from the ground up to make every dive, kickout, and finisher feel as real as if players were sitting ringside at WrestleMania. As soon as players pick up the controller, they’ll feel the difference;
- New Controls: The updated and incredibly intuitive control scheme hits different this year. Configured to ensure that players have more control over every move, in every situation, WWE 2K22 is easy to pick up and play while still allowing for high-skill expression;
- Stunning Graphics: Simply put, WWE 2K22 boasts the best-ever graphics of the WWE 2K Scanning and animations are executed using the same industry-leading process as Visual Concepts’ NBA 2K franchise, and the team overhauled lighting and relit the game from the ground up;
- Immersive Presentation: The most dynamic entry in the series to date will take players out of the crowd and into the ring, creating an authentic WWE feeling throughout the game;
- New WWE 2K Showcase: Players can take a walk down memory lane and relive a legendary WWE Superstar’s most iconic matches and moments;
- MyGM: Players will draft superstars, book matches, manage contracts, and prove they have what it takes to run the most successful brand in sports entertainment;
- MyFACTION: In a franchise-first, the all-new MyFACTION puts players in control of building a legendary faction that rivals the iconic nWo. Players will collect, manage, and upgrade Superstars, with weekly events and regular updates;
- MyRISE: An opportunity for players to experience the journey of a WWE Superstar from the humble beginnings of a Rookie, followed by the fanfare as a Superstar, and then immortalized as a Legend. New storylines will be available for both male and female MyPLAYERs;
- Universe Mode: Universe Mode returns, offering players more control than ever before over brands, PPVs, match results, rivalries, and much more;
- Creation Suite: The Creation Suite is back and better than ever. Players can be themselves or someone/something entirely different, with all sorts of wild options and fantasy elements, then step into the ring at any time and anywhere in the world.
WWE 2K22 looks and sounds pretty damn good. The game is still on track to release in March 2022, and 2K promises to share more updates in January.
Until then, step into the trailer below.
Photo: 2K / WWE 2K22