President Obama made his second trip to New York in the last few weeks Thursday (Nov. 15), to get another view of the damage leftover by Superstorm Sandy.
The president took in the view by air, flying over areas in Queens left dilapidated by the storm, and made a stop on Staten Island, and area ravaged in Sandy’s aftermath.
Obama flew into John F. Kennedy Airport where he was greeted by the likes of Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Gov. Andrew Cuomo, before boarding Marine One to get an aerial tour.
His visit came just after New York state senators, Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, asked for up to $1 billion in federal aid to help restore the 120 mile coastline spanning from Rockaway Beach in Queens, to the eastern end of Long Island known as, Montauk Point.
Gov. Cuomo will request an additional $30 billion in federal aid.
New York City was shut down once Sandy hit the shores of New Jersey killing more than 100 people throughout the East Coast, and leaving millions without electricity. Less than a month later, residents across the region are still in distress. Over 100,000 people are without power, several thousands of which reside on Staten Island. With patience running low, some are not excited about the president’s arrival. “I don’t care that he’s here,” 47-year-old Steve Pasciak, told the New York Times. “I mean, I think he’s done a good job. He responded quickly. He could’ve come to Staten Island sooner.”
With much of the news stories surrounding Manhattan and New Jersey, Staten Island was given the title of the “forgotten borough,” thanks to the massive damage leftover by Sandy, on-going power outages, and a reported 23 deaths on the island. Over on Long Island, thousands are still in the dark, and tension hit its boiling point when a utility worker—sent to New York from Florida—was punched in the face, late last week.
MORE ON HIP-HOP WIRED!
• Wired 25: Nobody’s Perfect – The 25 Biggest Fails From Rap Superstars
• In Their Falsetto: The Struggle-Voiced Singers That Hip-Hop Can’t Do Without [PHOTOS]
• 15 Things Beyoncé Wants You To Know Based On Her Tumblr & Instagram Shots [PHOTOS]
• A$AP Rocky Covers Complex Magazine; Says He Knows He Influences Kanye West [PHOTOS]
• Rihanna Opens Up For GQ Magazine, Talks Drake/Chris Brown Fight [PHOTOS]
• Bangin Candy: Fabolous Affiliated Former Pole Athlete Nya Lee [PHOTOS]
• 10 Nicki Minaj Pics Featuring An Out Of Place Safaree [PHOTOS]
• The Many Struggle Faces Of FOX News aka We Can’t Believe Obama Actually Won [PHOTOS]
Jamaican Cottage Owner Blasts Black Americans, Sparking Twitter Outrage
Tekashi 6ix9ine Gay Rumors Run Rampant After Rapper "Kisses" Mexican Band Singer
Janelle Monáe Covers Latest Issue Of Rolling Stone
The Nerve: Shaun King Seeks Help Paying For Medical Procedures, Receipts Twitter Attacks
The Thirst Is Real: Twitter Asking Ice Spice "Where Yo Mom At?" After Photo of Her Momma Goes Viral
Offset Shares Footage Of Him Appreciating Cardi B's Cakes
Baes & Baddies: Temptress Celebrates Body Positivity Beautifully & Boldly
Ms Jacky Oh, Romantic Partner Of DC Young Fly, Reportedly Has Died