HipHopWired Featured Video

New details surrounding the killing of 16-year-old Kimani ‘Kiki’ Gray have emerged, just two days after a candlelight vigil for the slain youth in Brooklyn erupted into a riot. The New York Times reports that Gray was hit with seven bullets in a hail of gunfire, according to the findings of an autopsy investigation. 

The New York City Office of the Chief Medical Examiner revealed that three of the seven bullets struck Gray in the back. A total of 11 shots were fired last Saturday (March 9) night after NYPD officials say Gray pointed a .38-caliber revolver in their direction.  The boy was hit in his shoulder, forearm, ribs, thighs, left side, and back. Two plainclothes officers fired the shots although the examiner did not determine which bullet was the one that ended Gray’s life.  The teenager’s recovered gun was loaded and authorities found four bullets in the chamber.

Police say Gray was on the street with a group but went off on his own around 11:30 p.m. The plainclothes officers took notice, and said they saw Gray adjusting his waistband suspiciously. After being ordered to stop, Gray reportedly pulled out the handgun which prompted the response from the officers. John C. Cerar, the former commanding officer for firearms training at the Police Department, feels the shooting was done in a just manner.

“Most of the time, it’s the person making a turn, or the position of the officers,” Cerar said regarding the shots to the back of Gray. Commissioner Ray Kelly also supported the officers’ actions and Cerar referred to the incident as a “good shooting.”

Although police are sticking to their story, one witness has come forth and said Gray did not aim a gun at cops.  Tishana King told the New York Daily News that she got a good look at the incident from a third-story window.

“’I’m certain he didn’t have anything in his hands,” said King to the Daily News. King’s son called 911 after the shooting took place, and police interviewed the woman for eight minutes. During the talk, King never mentioned anything about a gun in Gray’s hands. “His (Gray’s) hands were down,” she continued. “I couldn’t believe he let off (fired) his gun. There was no reason. No false move.”

As reported earlier, Gray was a suspected member of the Bloods street gang. Police obtained evidence that the boy was involved in gang activity based on videos discovered on the Internet.

East Flatbush residents, where Gray lived, carried out a second candlelight vigil last night (March 12) but the second gathering was peaceful after Monday’s violent outburst. There will be another vigil held later tonight as well.

Check out photos of Kimani Gray in the gallery.

[ooyala code=”txaHI0YTqPjYe65Dxl34wAGU1xahz3Vs”]

Photo: New York Daily News

1 2 3 4 5 6Next page »