Former Scandal star Columbus Short has been stirring some struggle gumbo since his days on the hit ABC drama starring Kerry Washington. Short, who was in the center of an assault case in Los Angeles last year, pleaded no contest after knocking a man out and was given three years probation.
As reported by PEOPLE, Short punched out a man last year at a restaurant, adding to a growing list of troubles for the actor. To avoid jail time, Short put forth the no contest plea and there was an order by the judge for him to get help for his anger issues as well.
The 33-year-old actor pleaded to an amended felony count of assault likely to cause great bodily injury, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced on Thursday.
Although he has avoided jail time, Short was sentenced to three years formal probation, 60 days of community service and has also been ordered to attend and complete 26 anger management classes.
Last year, Short told Access Hollywood Live that substance abuse was to blame for his problems.
He revealed: “I’ll be candid. I was struggling with drugs, I had a lot on my plate, and you know, I was using unhealthy ways to kind of self-medicate and deal with a lot of heavy duty stuff in my life.”
Asked what types of drugs he was using, the actor said “real drugs” like cocaine. He also added that he was drinking alcohol to “balance a 16-hour work schedule a day, and a family, and, I just lost myself back then.”
Short’s life has largely been without incident since the Los Angeles situation and he’s been largely out of the limelight. Sadly, Short’s wife filed for divorce last year after the assault went public.
Hopefully, Short will get his life together and back in front of a camera in the future.