Rapper Troy Ave pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and criminal possession charges in Manhattan Criminal Court on Monday evening in connection with a deadly shooting last week during a concert at Irving Plaza.
The New York Times reports that Troy Ave showed up to court in a wheelchair and asked the judge for $50,000 bail through his lawyers, who stressed that he had no criminal record. He was denied bail and commanded to sit in jail until his trial date.
His lawyers, Scott E. Leemon and John Stella, said Mr. Collins was not responsible for the gunfire that erupted at 10:15 p.m. on Wednesday in a backstage green room above the club’s stage just before the rapper T.I. was to perform.
One of Mr. Collins’s bodyguards, Ronald McPhatter, was killed in the shooting. Three people were wounded, including Mr. Collins, who was shot in the leg.
“He’s the real victim here,” Mr. Leemon said in court. “McPhatter died a hero trying to protect Mr. Collins. He was not shot by Mr. Collins.” Mr. Leemon also told the court that scientific evidence would show that Mr. Collins did not shoot himself.
Ave is seen in an eight second video clip shooting in a crowded room. His lawyers do not deny that the man in the video is Ave, but they do deny that he is responsible for McPhatter’s death.
Ave is not the only “victim” from the shooting. Supposed rival Maino’s girlfriend was shot in the melee and is currently in the hospital recovering from a gun shot wound to the leg. She has complained of NYPD officers wanting to remove the bullet lodged in her leg to run ballistics. T.I., who was scheduled to perform at the show before the shooting happened, lost $55,000 after a Florida promoter removed him from a show where he was set to perform for a high school graduation party called Planet Graduation.
“For the safety of our kids we feel that at this time we are pulling him from our line up and are looking for an alternative,” said Planet Graduation in a statement to HipHopWired.