A family of a New Hampshire boy is demanding answers and not getting any, this after the 8-year-old boy was the victim of an attempted lynching. A group of white teens carried out the heinous crime, but police in the town where the incident occurred are keeping silent on the details.
New York Daily News reports:
The child’s mother, Cassandra Merlin, shared photos of her 8-year-old son’s injuries to Facebook. In the images the little boy is seen with severe rope burn and cuts on his neck.
“So my son is being flown to Dartmouth after a 14 year old kid decided to hang him from a tree,” she wrote in the now-deleted post, according to NH1. “I don’t care if this was a so called accident or not. My son almost died.”
In a follow-up post on Thursday, Merlin said her son could no longer go outside and play because of what happened and indicated that she thinks the attack was racially motivated.
The news of the attempting lynching first broke on local outlet NH1.com on September 7, where the disturbing images of the rope burns to her son’s neck were posted in the aforementioned and previously public Facebook post. The hanging incident initially took place on August 28.
The boy’s family says that this isn’t the first of racially-motivated attacks in the neighborhood, yet Claremont officials are refusing to give support in the matter. Claremont Police Chief Mark Chase openly stated in the NH1 story that the teens “need to be protected” and suggested the crime was a merely a mistake.
A mistake that could have potentially ended a young life and scarred him mentally for life. Right.
Photo: Lyrik Merlin/Facebook