President Donald Trump has taken back the initial White House invitation to Golden State Warriors, using his favorite vehicle of Twitter to announce the rescinding this morning. The former business mogul apparently wrote the tweet in response to Warriors star Stephen Curry saying he would vote no to the traditional visit if it were left to him.
There had not been previous indication of a White House invitation for the Warriors, but it had been looking increasingly unlikely that the team would visit with Trump in Washington, D.C.
On Friday, Stephen Curry said he would vote no if the team were invited to the White House. Kevin Durant previously told ESPN’s Chris Haynes that he would not go to the White House either.
Warriors Coach Steve Kerr said earlier in the week that no decisions have been made from their side on whether or not the team would take the invitation. With Curry’s statement and the growing disdain from other athletes surrounding Trump’s policies, the events seemed all but inevitable.
This may be the first time such an invitation has been withdrawn. So perhaps the Golden State Warriors actually were woke as previously thought.