President Obama Throws His Support Behind Gay Marriage
made a landmark decision earlier today, in publicly declaring his support for gay marriage. In an interview with ABC News
, Obama made his position on the controversial matter abundantly clear.
“I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors,” he said of what helped shape his thoughts.
“When I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell
is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.”
Speculation over the timing of Obama's solid stance on same-sex unions comes days after Vice President Joe Biden vocalized his support of gay marriage. With his re-election campaign
in full swing, supporting said cause may prove detrimental for the Commander in Chief in trying to win over “red states,” which are known to staunchly oppose gay marriage. Not surprisingly, Republicans have also attacked Obama over the issue; with well-known right-wing racist, Anne Coulter theorizing that were it not for the color of his skin, his views would not be accepted. “Could any non-black (not even 1/2 black) democrat come out for gay marriage and win re-election?” she tweeted
Since heading out on the road to drum up votes, Obama has also become a target of death threats. Last week, a Virginia man was arrested for sending an email promising to blow up the White House and kill the president
MORE ON HIP-HOP WIRED!
• A Bad Azz Timeline: How Lil Boosie Ended Up On Trial For Murder
• Kanye West, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Rick Ross and More At The Met Gala [PHOTOS]
• Exclusive: Street Artist Kai Launches Now Royalty Exhibit In L.A. [PHOTOS]
• LeBron James Rocks Nike Air Yeezy 2 During Press Conference [PHOTOS]
• Bangin Candy: Floyd Mayweather Jr's Fiancé Shantel Jackson [PHOTOS]
• A Journey Into Adam Yauch & The Beastie Boys' Stylistic Legacy [PHOTOS]
• 8 Things You Must Know About The Avengers Before Watching The Movie
• Bangin Candy: Gorgeous Looking, Ridiculously Bodied UK Model Tabby Brown [PHOTOS]