Lauryn Hill has found herself in tax trouble. The New Jersey native has been charged with failing to pay taxes on $1.6 million in earning, U.S. Attorney Paul J. Fishman, announced Thursday (June 7).
According to Fishman, the 37-year-old mother of six, failed to file taxes in 2005, 2006, and 2007. Hill faces a $100,000 fine for each of the three charges.
While much of her income comes from royalties, she also owns four corporations: Creations Music, Inc., L.H. Productions 2001 Inc., Boogie Tours, Inc., and Studio 22 Inc.
The singer took the stage at Hot 97’s annual Summer Jam last weekend, where she performed alongside Nas–who has had his fair share of tax issues. Following the show, the multi-Grammy winner also came to the defense of Nicki Minaj who was billed to headline the show but pulled out after she was dissed by radio personality, Peter Rosenberg.
At press time, Hills attorney, Nathan Hochman of Bingham McCutchen, did not respond to Hip-Hop Wired’s request for comment. She is due to appear in court June 29.
MORE ON HIP-HOP WIRED!
• Patiently Waiting: 10 Highly Anticipated Hip-Hop Moments That Will Probably Never Happen
• Exclusive: Behind The Scenes At Hot 97’s Summer Jam [PHOTOS]
• Wired 25: The Greatest Summer Songs Of All Time [LISTEN]
• Dropping Dimes: 10 Facts Revealed During Alleged Drug Kingpin Jimmy Henchman’s Trial
• Joe Budden Tweets Pics From Pre-Summer Jam Pool Party [PHOTOS]
• 10 Reasons Why Hot 97’s Summer Jam Is Rap’s Wrestlemania
• Young Jeezy In The Studio With T.I., B.o.B. & More [PHOTOS]
• The History Of The YMCMB vs. G.O.O.D. Music Cold War [PHOTOS/VIDEO]
Jamaican Cottage Owner Blasts Black Americans, Sparking Twitter Outrage
Offset Shares Footage Of Him Appreciating Cardi B's Cakes
The Nerve: Shaun King Seeks Help Paying For Medical Procedures, Receipts Twitter Attacks
Baes & Baddies: Temptress Celebrates Body Positivity Beautifully & Boldly
Azealia Banks Takes Disgusting Swipe At DC Young Fly After Death Of Ms. Jacky Oh
Janelle Monáe Covers Latest Issue Of Rolling Stone
Tekashi 6ix9ine Gay Rumors Run Rampant After Rapper "Kisses" Mexican Band Singer
Ms Jacky Oh, Romantic Partner Of DC Young Fly, Reportedly Has Died