Fox News Reveals Name Of 16-Year-Old Steubenville R@pe Victim
Fox News revealed the identity of the 16-year-old Steubenville, Ohio r@pe victim. The teen girl’s name has remained under wraps because shes is a minor, with most outlets respecting her privacy.
The assault trial divided the town as two of its star football players, Trent Mays and Ma’lik Richmond, stood accused of r-ping the teen while she was intoxicated, in August of last year. They were found guilty Sunday (March 17), but the verdict hasn’t yet allowed the victim the privacy she seeks.
From Raw Story:
Fox News on Monday aired the name of a underage victim of a disturbing rape in Steubenville, Ohio.
During correspondent Mike Tobin’s report about the guilty verdicts in the Steubenville rape case on Fox News’ America’s Newsroom, the girl’s first name was broadcast without being censored.
“We have not known, really, how the victim is doing, Mike,” host Martha MacCallum told Tobin. “Is there any information on that today?”
“Well, a relative tells me that she spends a lot of time in her room,” Tobin explained. “She has been back out playing sports, and through it all — you’ll be surprised to learn — she made the honor roll one more time.”
“A family representative says the remorse coming from the football players came too late,” the correspondent added. “We saw their reaction yesterday.”
At that point, the report cut to footage of one of the r-pists, 17-year-old Trent Mays, apologizing to the victim in court on Sunday.
“I would truly like to apologize to [redacted], her family, my family and the community,” Mays said. “No picture [of the rape] should have been sent around, let alone even taken.”
Raw Story has redacted the victim’s first name from this report and the video below, but Fox News did not.
A Fox News editor’s note added to an Associated Press report published on Sunday insisted that the conservative network would not name the minors charged in the case.
In addition to having her name revealed on a national news platform, the young victim has received threats . Two girls were charged with threatening the girl after learning of the guilty verdict.
According to the Seattle Times, the girls, ages 15 and 16, posted “threatening comments on Twitter” after the guilty verdict was handed down. Both teens are being held in juvenile detention, and are expected to appear in court today.