CLOSE

Funeral Home’s Cremation Mistake Leads To License Penalty

An Ohio funeral home is in hot water after accidentally cremating the body of a 14-month-old child.

Reports state:

The state has suspended the license of a North Linden funeral home that failed to catch a mistake by the coroner’s office and had the wrong body cremated.

Marlan J. Gary, owner of the Marlan J. Gary Funeral Home on Cleveland Avenue, will lose his funeral director’s license for six months under a ruling by the Ohio Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors.

The state board also suspended the funeral home’s license for six months.

“Cremation is irreversible, so it is vitally important that every precaution and safeguard be taken to ensure accuracy,” hearing officer Marc Myers said in a report to the board.

“The funeral director cannot simply rely on another, be it a driver or the coroner’s office, to ‘get it right.'”

Gary’s funeral home had 14-month-old Jaylen Talley cremated in May 2010 after a coroner’s office employee mistakenly released the child’s body to a driver whom Gary employed.

Gary’s funeral home was supposed to handle the body of a 22-day-old boy.

Both bodies were identified correctly, but the coroner’s employee, the driver and the business hired by Gary for the cremation did not check to ensure they had the right boy.

A picture of 14-month-old baby Jaylen is posted below.

 

comments – add yours
MORE FROM HIP-HOP WIRED
FROM SITES WE LOVE