Update: Rick Ross Responds To Loss In DJ Vlad Lawsuit [Audio]
Rick Ross may have $300,000 less in his bank account , but the Maybach Music CEO told MTV he’s not tripping.
“I’ve been fighting a $4 million lawsuit for the last two years,” Ross said. “My defense was a success. I’ve got to salute Xavier Donaldson, my attorney.
Whenever an artist or anybody is put in a position such as a lawsuit in this capacity, so much evidence is represented — videotapes, what have you.
To be able to walk out of a courtroom giving the plaintiff less than 10 percent of what he requested, I consider my defense a success. God bless America! The lawsuit is done. Even though I plan to appeal the decision, I thank the courts for the monetary decision that they made. They were extremely lenient, I appreciate that. It’s back to the business for the Boss.”
As previously reported, the U.S. District Federal Court in New York awarded DJ Vlad $250,000 in punitive damages and $50,000 in compensatory damages against Ross after an altercation in 2008 involving Vlad and Ross’ Triple C’s group.
Vlad alleged that Ross orchestrated an attack that left him with a broken eye socket, a broken nose, nerve damage to his face, cheek, upper lip, teeth and gums after he posted images of Ross dressed in a correctional officer’s uniform on his Web site.
On Thursday, Ross told MTV News that he’s putting the lawsuit behind him and focusing on the June 29 release of his LP, Teflon Don.
Although the amount he is scheduled to pay is not chump change, Ross stated that he was happy to have the case resolved finally.
“It’s a couple of papers, but it was a two-year-long case,” Ross said in the interview. “After court expenses, etc., the plaintiff may get $40 or 50K. I’m blessed to be in the situation I’m in. 4 mil was at stake. It’s behind me.”
If Ross is happy, Vlad is ecstatic. On Friday (April 16) he tweeted his reaction about the judgment stating:
“Today is a great day” on Friday morning.
Although Vlad has not released a formal reaction, his attorney, Brian D. Caplan stated that the verdict shows that terroristic behavior will not be tolerated, even by celebrities:
“There is no place in civilized society for members of the media to have to fear retribution for their news coverage and commentary.”
Caplan stated, “The jury awarded Mr. Lyubovny $250,000 in punitive damages against Rick Ross to send a message that such conduct will not be tolerated or condoned.”
Man, I hope they don’t see the video of Triple C’s member Gunplay snorting an 8-ball, t hat would really look bad.
Peep The Audio Below: