The Weeknd Producer Says He Got Jerked Out Of His Proper Credit
Early fans of dark-electro-R&B artist The Weeknd
might recall it was originally a two-man operation. The duo, then comprised of Jeremy Rose
and Abel Tesfaye
(now the solo Weeknd), was responsible for the viral success of three songs: “What You Need,” “Loft Music,” and the original version of “The Morning.” By the time The Weeknd's House Of Balloons
hit the streets, some things changed, including the lineup and the spelling of the act's name.
In an interview with Vice
, Jeremy Rose discusses his parting ways with Abel Tesfaye (who was recently R&Beefing with The-Dream
), and how he created the sound that made The Weeknd an everyday name. Rose discusses meeting Tesfaye at a poutine spot in Toronto. After Tesfaye (then an American Apparel employee) began freestyling for Rose, he knew the artist would be perfect for a sound he was looking to create. “I had this idea for a dark R&B project. I think I talked to
Curtis Santiago [aka Talwst, local Toronto R&B dude] about it, but he wasn't really what I was looking for because he was on some other thing,” Rose told Vice.
“Abel seemed to suit the project.”
The project was called The Weekend. Then Rose decided to leave, and an “e” left with him.
“Well, I left. He dropped the ‘e.' But he was pushing for some things I didn't want to do, and it got to the point where he wouldn't respect my opinion,” Rose says. “He wanted me to produce for him without any of my input.” Upon leaving, Rose made it clear to Tesfaye that he wanted his proper credit. After the three aforementioned tracks were leaked by Drake and gave The Weeknd mass appeal, Rose reminded Tesfaye over email that his credit was requested. The email received no response. While Rose doesn't seem too disgruntled in the interview, he does refer to The Weeknd and his camp as “b-tches.”
Financially, Rose has yet to receive any money from The Weeknd's success, but his response was cryptic. “We'll work on it,” he says.
MORE ON HIP-HOP WIRED!
• Hip-Hop Wired Presents: A Tribute To Radio Rants
• Nike Air Yeezy 2 Wolf Grey/Pure Platinum Detailed Pics [PHOTOS]
• Behind The Scenes Of Drake's Club Paradise Tour [PHOTOS]
• Get Off The Boo Boo, Too: 5 More Things Rapper Make Look Cool (That Really Are Not)
• Lil Wayne's Mansion Cited For High Grass, Not What You Think [PHOTOS]
• Finally Famous : 10 Rappers With Pasts They Wish We Would Forget About
• Hip-Hop Wired Presents: A Tribute To BET Uncut
• Bangin' Candy: Tyga's Girlfriend Blac Chyna [PHOTOS]
• Get Off The Boo Boo: 7 Things Rappers Make Look Cool (That Really Are Not)