George Zimmerman Received Over $200K From Donation Website
George Zimmerman's lawyer has some explaining to do. One week after the 28-year-old posted $150,000 bail comes word that he may have used contributions from his website to help pay the debt. The now defunct site received upwards of $200,000 in donations, a number which the accused killer's lawyer, Mike O'Mara, says he was not aware of until earlier this week.
O'Mara will discuss the matter during a hearing with Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. —which was originally scheduled to discuss releasing sealed documents to the media – Friday (April 27). Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda asked that Lester raise his bail based on the news, but the judge is unsure if he has the authority to do so.
Zimmerman's bond amount was set based on his finances and would have been higher had the judge been made aware of the donations. “They tried to portray themselves as indigent that they did not have any money,” said Benjamin Crump, attorney for the Martin family. “We think the court should revoke his bond immediately and he should be held accountable for misleading the court.”
The website was created to solicit financial help from Zimmerman's supporters. A few days before special prosecutor Angela Corey, announced that he would face second-degree murder charges in the shooting death of the 17-year-old unarmed teen, Zimmerman took to the site to beg for donations. According to a spokesperson for his lawyer, the site was shut down to quiet his web presence, in the midst of public disdain over the shooting.
Following his release, Zimmerman remains in hiding, and waved his right to appear at an arraignment next month.
MORE ON HIP-HOP WIRED!